Emergencies in your home are usually unexpected and happen without warning. We are always prepared to assist you when an emergency strikes, but it also helps for you to be prepared as well. Having the knowledge of what to do in these situations can make the process less stressful and go smoother. Here are some basic tips to know when you are waiting for ServiceMaster by Rice to arrive to your home after a fire, water damage, or vandalism occurs.
Fire Damage Tips
On average, over 350,000 homes catch on fire during the year in the United States causing over $7 billion worth of damage.
Call ServiceMaster by Rice after alerting your local fire department. ServiceMaster has the skills to clean up your fire quickly, efficiently, and most importantly safely.
- Do not enter your home until the fire department gives permission. Even though you may think your home may appear safe, it is best to wait until the fire department knows everything is safely shut off and the fire is completely done.
- Keep yourself protected when entering your home. Make sure all windows and doors are open when you go into your home. Also be sure to wear full length clothing and closed toe shoes.
- Inventory your personal items that have been destroyed or damaged for your insurance. This can be a hard step, but is important to do early on while things are fresher in your mind.
Water Damage Tips
Water damage can be an overwhelming experience, especially because you often can tell it’s coming or may be home when it’s actually happening. It can also be tricky because water can get into places and you may not even realize it. There are a few different things that you should do after contacting ServiceMaster by Rice to come help with the cleanup.
- Do not enter the room where there is standing water if the electricity is on. This can be extremely dangerous, so make sure everyone in your family including your pets is a safe distance away from the water.
- Try to prevent future mold growth. After the area is completely disinfected and dried, you can take the proper steps to assure mold won’t grow in your house. Dark and damp conditions are most common for mold growth.
- Don’t assume all is lost. We use high velocity air movers and dehumidifiers to dry the affected areas and also have the ability to bring in other service providers to help get your home back to its original shape.
After your home gets vandalized, your first instinct may to be to immediately get it cleaned up to make it look like nothing happened in the first place. While cleaning up the mess is important, it should be one of the last things on your to do list after vandalism occurs.
- Take pictures of the damage. That’s the best way for you and the authorities to remember what happened and what everything looked like.
- Use proper cleaning materials when you clean up. Instead of just using random cleaning supplies you have around your home, seek out the proper product for the type of vandalism that occurred.
- Identify what needs to restored that is beyond your abilities. Contact ServiceMaster by Rice for help fixing the things that you do not have the skills to do.
Safety is the most important thing to keep in mind after an emergency happens in your home. Whether you live in Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Atlantic, Carroll, Milford, Storm Lake, Sioux Center, Fairmont, MN or their surrounding areas, ServiceMaster is prepared to help. For additional safety tips, contact ServiceMaster by Rice today for more information.