house on fire

Dealing With Fires in Des Moines, Spencer, & Atlantic

April 16, 2015 2:57 pm

At ServiceMaster by Rice, we understand that experiencing a fire in your home can be a tough time. Whether most of your home got destroyed or only one room, our talented team can help with the cleanup.

How fires can start in your Des Moines home

There are a variety of ways that a fire can start in your house. Common reasons for a fire in your home include:

  • Kitchen mishaps. In the kitchen, it can be fairly easy to start a fire. Between your microwave, stove, and oven, there are quite a few different appliances that can potentially catch on or start a fire. Keep an eye on things when you’re cooking and make sure nothing is too close to an open flame.
  • Unattended candles burning too long. Candles may be overlooked as a way for a house fire to start because they’re so small, but it is a possible way for fires to start. A nice rule of thumb is to make sure you’re keeping an eye on candles while they’re burning and always blow them out before you leave the room. If you’re getting tired, be sure to put any candles out. It can be dangerous for someone to fall asleep in a room with candles still burning.
  • Electrical problems. Whether it’s faulty electrical wiring, an overloaded extension cord, or a bad connection, electrical problems can cause a fire in your home. If the electrical wiring in your home was poorly installed, things are more likely to catch on fire. Make sure you are not overloading your outlets and keep an eye on any wiring that looks weird. Don’t hesitate to call an electrician if you notice something looks dangerous.
  • Lint from your clothes dryer. Leftover lint in your clothing dryer happens to be extremely flammable. With excessive heat added to it, a fire is likely to start. Always clean out the lint in your dryer every time you use it to prevent a clothes dryer fire.

Who to contact after a home fire

If you notice a fire in your house, get everyone out safely. The most important thing during a fire is the safety of you and your family. Call 911 immediately to give firefighters the most time possible to arrive and help put out the blaze. Once things have settled down a bit, call ServiceMaster by Rice. We’ve worked on many different fire cleanup and restoration projects helping people get their homes back to normal.

First we’ll assess the fire and smoke damage. Next, we will do the necessary emergency response procedures such as getting temporary power or boarding up windows and doors. We’ll then help look over what is left and decide if it should be restored or completely replaced. This can be a tough step for homeowners, but we will help you through it. The ServiceMaster team will also assist with odor control. Febreze doesn’t cut it when it comes to odor removal for your home after a fire. We use special products and equipment that can help remove the overpowering smoke smell. Finally, we do corrosion control. Fire, soot, smoke, and water damage can cause corrosion within 72 hours of the fire, so we work as quickly as possible.

ServiceMaster by Rice: fire restoration experts

After a fire, contact ServiceMaster by Rice. We’ll send over a team of experienced professionals who can help you get your home back to normal as quickly and efficiently as possible. You can trust ServiceMaster by Rice to help with all of your fire restoration needs. Call us today for more information if you’re located in the Des Moines, Carroll, Atlantic, Cedar Rapids, Milford, Okoboji, Fort Dodge, or Fairmont, Minnesota areas.