Fires are a disaster that no one is ever prepared for. But did you know most fires in the United States are caused from preventable circumstances? Cooking equipment, heating equipment, candles, your clothes dryer, and smoking materials are all causes of fires in your home or apartment. So what precautions should you be taking to make sure that you are preventing a future fire? Follow our fire safety checklist.
Your Fire Safety Checklist – Prevent House Fires
Electrical and Appliance
- All of the electrical cords are in good condition, nothing is frayed or broken.
- The clothes dryer’s lint filter is cleaned out after every single use.
- The dryer has a clean venting system.
- Appliances are directly plugged into the wall outlets.
- Nothing that can catch fire easily is placed by your stove.
- Pots are never left unattended on the stove.
- The kitchen stove hood is clean and vented to the outside.
- There is a smoke detector placed in your kitchen to notify you if something does catch fire.
- There is at least one smoke alarm on every level of your home, preferably one in every room.
- Smoke alarms are tested on a monthly basis.
- Smoke alarms are replaced every ten years.
Home Escape Plan
- The entire family understands how to get out of every room of the home in case of fire.
- Fire drills are done at least once a year so children feel comfortable getting out if there is an emergency.
- There is a designated spot in front of your house where all family members meet if there is a fire. This ensures that you can get an accurate head count and that no one will be trying to stay safe on the side or back of the house.
- When someone leaves the house, they need to stay outside of the house for safety purposes.
- Candles are always put out before leaving the room or going to bed.
- Children aren’t left unattended when candles are lit.
- Candles are placed somewhere where they can’t be tipped over easily.
Fire Restoration and Repair from ServiceMaster by Rice
If your home does experience a fire, let our team of professionals help clean it up. We offer fire repair and cleanup services in Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Atlantic, Milford, Storm Lake, Carroll, Fort Dodge, and Fairmont, MN. We will assess damage, determine what can be restored, deodorize your home, and treat all surfaces affected. ServiceMaster by Rice also offers other services that may help depending on the severity of the fire including carpet cleaning, water and flood damage cleanup, and furniture cleaning. Contact us today to learn more about our fire restoration services.