Mold is a natural substance that occurs frequently in nature. Sometimes, mold can be a great thing, especially when it comes to breaking down old organic materials (dead leaves in your yard, e.g.). However, in most cases when mold invades your home, it threatens to do more damage than good.

When you see your first sign of mold in your home, you may be tempted to call someone right away. Don’t panic! The first indications of mold such as small spores or a musty smell can be easily treatable using products from the store or by following DIY tutorials online. It is only when these problems are neglected that this becomes something only a professional mold removal/restoration specialist should interfere with. A specialist will bring in equipment and supplies that can be hard to obtain, not to mention costly, and require specific training.

If you are worried about mold in your home and the potential it has for health hazards, this guide will help you to determine when it might be the best time to call in a pro.

Signs of a Mold Emergency

Notably Different Air Conditions

You have noticed over the past month that the air in your home is getting increasingly harder to breathe in. Some may say it leaves the chest and throat feeling tight, or has a certain absence of freshness to it. Many times, a change in the quality of air coincides with a musty smell. This can be a humid and damp smell, almost like decaying wood or wet socks.

When this smell is prevalent, it is a key indicator that excessive mold spores are in the air. Breathing in these spores can be hazardous to your health, causing conditions such as; asthma symptoms, dizziness, headaches, pneumonia, and other ailments.

It is not uncommon for people to dismiss these health symptoms as a result of “the changing of the seasons”. This is more often than not, not the case. As soon as you begin to notice abnormalities in your air quality and experience health concerns, seek a mold removal specialist immediately.

Mold Size

Maybe you have been watching this spot for a while now, or maybe you just moved aside your dresser and found it. Whichever it may be, the bigger your mold problem is…the bigger the clean-up will be. Mold can grow fast and once it gets big enough, it can cause lots of problems. Some of these issues may include replacing entire walls or ceilings depending on the seriousness of it.

If the mold in your home takes up more than 10 square feet, you need to call a mold restoration specialist as soon as possible. When this problem gets put off, your risk for health hazards only increases every moment you do not get it taken care of. A large amount of mold can do some serious damage to the area it is growing on, not to mention, it is releasing just as many spores into the air.

Recent Water Damage

Iowa is no stranger to drastic weather conditions. In the heart of the Midwest, we experience the extreme highs and lows of every season. If your home has suffered any amount of water damage, it may be a good idea to call your local mold removal specialist to be sure you do not have any mold growing in places unseen.

When water damage happens to your home, it can be a huge hassle. You want to clean it up as soon as possible and get back to your normal routine. However, if the proper steps of clean-up were not taken, mold can find its way into even the smallest crevices and corners. Bacteria left from the water, humidity, and dampness are all key factors in the growth of mold.

Double-check the areas where water damage occurred. If these places are hard to get to, like a crawl space, pipes, attic or vents…call a mold specialist for assistance.

Call Your Iowa Mold Removal & Remediation Specialist Today!

No matter how big the problem may seem, we have seen it all. Do not let mold ruin your home and worst of all, your health. People will tend to neglect signs of mold as a “one-off” thing. Do not be one of those people…be proactive in getting the job done! Your wallet and health will thank you.

Still unsure if you need to call a pro? Let us know! Contact us today with any questions or concerns regarding mold.